Monday, April 27, 2009

People who are surrounded by glass shouldn't throw stones

When we visited Phoenix at Christmas, we were lucky enough to see the Chihuly Glass Exhibit, installed at the Desert Botanical Gardens, at night. However, none of my many photos were eligible for this blog because they were taken in 2008.

On this quick return trip, I not only got to see these gorgeous works of art in the daylight, I photographed them in 2009, so, here you go! Chihuly Glass! These were specially created for the gardens, and many of the pieces mimic the cacti that serve as a backdrop.

I was loving the tight shot of the red in my small viewfinder. In a larger version, however, I can see they need to be dusted. One of the volunteer security staff told us that an average glass set (and there were at least a dozen different areas throughout the garden) took 2-3 volunteers 2-3 hours DAILY to dust and polish. Wow!



15 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I am going to have to visit them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, oh I love coloured glass! I would love to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw their display a few years back when we vacationed at Atlantis on Paradise Island! Wow, their work is stunning and your image depicts how unique and magnificent the glass sculptures really are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful colors-I love the middle photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are beautiful! But, I'm glad they're not at my house so I don't have to dust them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing. Each of your shots shows such a unique display. It must be fantastic to see in person.

    The star-shaped flares in the second shot are pretty darn neat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Incredible photos. I was fortunate enough to see an exhibit of his at the Orlando Museum of Art several years ago. They are just amazing and you've done a beautiful job capturing the color and shape.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty processed sand that, great set of shots too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great, Love the blue thingies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The glass is beautiful, I think the red/pink is my favorite. I'm glad I don't have to dust all of that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Knockout shots! The flare on the blue is too cool. Fine job shooting all that glass, always tricky I think and I imagine more so in the desert.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are amazing! I'd love to see them in person!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful works of art. Great colors.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was visiting Arizona and went to the Chihuly exhibit last week, too. Wasn't it an amazing affair? Love these shots.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?