Friday, November 25, 2011

Rule of thirds

As many of you know, my DBF Jon is very interested in bird photography. I frequently accompany him on his outings, so when he wanted to leave for Thanksgiving dinner at his sister's a couple of hours early, I knew he had a bird-scouting adventure in mind. His sister lives about 30 minutes from Horicon National Wildlife Refuge. Jon had read on a friend's blog about seeing a snowy owl in the Refuge, and he wanted to see if he could find it. The friend's description of the location was "along Dike Road".

Hmmmmm.

Still, Jon's a great spotter, and it wasn't long before he found this beautiful bird. We took a few photos, piled back in the car, and headed off for a terrific day of family, football and food.

Home, I cropped this image down to follow the rule-of-thirds (I think), by positioning the eye of the owl in the upper third intersection of the photo. A little sharpening and here's my image.

11 comments:

  1. This should be framed. Great find and capture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That has made for a hoot of an image, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job finding and capturing the snowy owl. I have never seen one before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love owls and have not shot one yet and don't remember seeing any on the challenge either. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW...a beauty of a capture...LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't care if this was the rule of fourths, because it is a fine shot of such a magnificent bird. Sounds like you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a privilege to be able to see this bird in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Val,
    Awesome picture! I agree with Lois, you should frame this. Have a great day!

    Sherrie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! What a thrill, well spotted Jon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful bird! I bet my lifetime list would only have about a dozen entries, I so rarely see anything uncommon in the city.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?