Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Glass...redux

Last week, in addition to the "Get to Know Your Rebel Class", some friends and I also took a Lighting class. One of the coolest things the instructor showed us was how to shoot glass. Clear glass presents a challenge because it's transparent. He reflected light off the glass and, with the help of a black background, shot some pretty cool images.

Here are a couple of my attempts to mimic his setup. I was using my light box, which is draped in a white sheet and has a white craft-paper "floor". I swapped out a black craft-paper floor and positioned it to also be a backdrop. Problem: It wouldn't stand up. I leaned it up against a tool box, but that caused a curve in the paper, which reflected more light. To fix that, I used the Dodge tool in Photoshop to darken up the reflected areas of the paper, while leaving the glass alone.

Also, I was dusting the glasses with paper towels..which left some streaks and dust motes. Next time, I'll take more care. A fun experiment!

Shutter: 1/100, f/4.5, ISO 1600, 55mm, hand-held, RAW. Only editing was to change the white balance to Tungsten (I forgot to do it in camera) and then use the Dodge tool as described above.


A party!
 

This third one, of the martini glass alone, is my favorite. I dropped the ISO speed down to 400, and switched off one of the side lights, which darkened the stem. It's straight out of the camera. Focal length 91mm. 1/100, f/5

14 comments:

  1. My favorite is the second image as well, just by the simple addition of a second glass you changed this into a winner composition...the different angle and shapes are perfect! Shooting clear glass is no easy task (believe me, I have tried and have not mastered this yet), but I would say you did really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific experiment!! I love your glass. Did you learn any tips on doing glass without the light box? I too love the second photo's composition. You must have gotten an A+ in the glass class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice application of what we learned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katy - in the class, the instructor didn't use a light box at all. He just propped the glass on a utility cart, sitting on a long black sheet of craft paper (much longer than mine...probably 4-5 feet). He had something behind it (can't recall..maybe a small shipping box? Nothing fancy). He shone a studio light on the glass, zoomed in, and click! I might have a picture of his setup. If I can find it, I'll post it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could use more practice on still shots like these. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love them!! What a fun experiment. Looks like your class is a big success.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look pretty good to me. I'll have to look into classes around here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you're learning a lot in your class--thanks for sharing with all of us. I like that there is no reflection in the glass--is that due to the way you had your lighting?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like them all but especially the last one. This shows how a simple set up and subject can result in a elegant photo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very simple, but elegant set of images. My favorite is the middle photo. I am going to have to try some of this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fine exercises, I love the second the most too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are advancing by leaps and bounds, Val! I'd love to be able to get shots like this - can I come to your house for a lesson?

    My fav is the 2nd one...

    ReplyDelete
  13. All great shots Val. My favorite is the one in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The second shot, in my opinion, is the best. Really like it.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?