Thursday, February 11, 2010

Photographing a single drop - sounds simple, yes?

I marvel at the simplicity of an icicle, slowing dripping in the warming afternoon. Tough to photograph, though! I had to have my shutter speed fast enough to stop the drop (this bore out when I had to toss the first 30 images). Then I had to change the ISO settings to let in more light, because my highest f/stop on my zoomed-in settings was too dark (toss another 30-40 images...thank goodness for digital). Then I had to time the shots just right...I could see the water run down the icicle (snap) and most shots missed the drop. I was on continuous shooting, RAW+JPEG and could capture about 6 shots before I had to wait for the memory card to catch up.

After about 100 or so shots, I settled on this one. It's a little noisy but the drop is clear!

Shutter: 1/800, f/6.3, ISO 800, focal length 270mm tripod mount

13 comments:

  1. Wow!! Doesn't sound easy to me (but you sure made it look that way)! Absolutely spectacular! I am really loving this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great catch. I have always wondered about how long it takes to get drops at the right time or was it a doctored shot. Very interesting work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. fantastic experiment and results!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great capture! I've tried and tried but have not gotten anything close -- love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This would be on the level of me getting a tack sharp photo of a full moon....hard to do. You have amazing patience!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous!! You can even see the reflection of a tree in the drop of water. It was well worth all those shots. Aren't you glad you weren't shooting film!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool! Persistance pays off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so impressed! With your patience, your trials, and it all paid off! Terrific capture!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had fun when I did that last year. I took a lot of shots too. You did a great job, looks like you got it just before it fell.

    ReplyDelete
  10. See what patience will get you! A prize-winning shot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Patience is indeed a virtue. I especially love the reflection in the drop. So nice.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?